AO Gardener Series: Creating Your Own Garden Box!
The team here at AO is excited to share that we’ll be featuring some new contributors here on the GROW blog, all geared to get you inspired to grow. With the season right around the corner, we wanted to offer a resource for anyone out there who wants to go green, whether you’ve never handled a spade to being a well-versed professional, we want to share the experiences of voices from all levels of green-thumbery!
DIY - creating your own garden box!
Oh hello dear March. Spring is almost here - but not quite. So we need to keep ourselves busy with prepping the garden and getting ready for the prime growing months!
For your entertainment, and mine, I decided to build a garden box! If you have been thinking about doing this GO FOR IT, if I can do this, so can you!
Assemble your troops (todays supporting cast is Ryan - YEAH Ry Guy, thanks for giving up a day of climbing and helping me out!!) lets do this.
(The completed box will be 4x8. Not a lot of space? Buy shorter boards, a square 4x4 or 3x3 would make a cute shape for a smaller space!)
- 4 - 2x8x12s - cut into 4, 8 ft pieces and 4, 4 ft pieces.
- 1 - 4x4x8 - cut into 4 - 2 ft pieces)
- Screws - 3.5" self drilling (I used left over deck screws)
We are so close now, you essentially have half the box done.
Repeat the above steps with your helper.
You got this by now, all thats left is connecting the last two sides. Use your level to make sure you attach the last boards evenly (step back and look at the box, make sure it's not looking wonky!) Once all sides are attached - you are done like dinner!
- If possible, you want to access the box from all sides.
- Make sure your box is close to a water source.
- Keep it flat.
- What do you want to grow? Match the conditions with what you want to grow in this box. If your goal is lettuces, zucchinis etc you can get away with a slightly shadier spot.
- Distance from your house, if you want to be be able to run out and grab some herbs while cooking don't put it to far from your door!
Oh hi there, my name is Jessica. Monday to Friday I spend my days sitting in front of a screen creating brands and websites for companies. On the weekends I like to get away from that screen and take to the outdoors, whether it’s my garden or the trails with my sidekick (the Shar Pei/pitbull – Electra.) So long as I am outside, I am happy.